Friday, June 12, 2009

Unseen Rajasthan Special-Puskar

History
Pushkar from the hill top

Pushkar is a town in the state of Rajasthan in India. Pushkar means born due to a flower. Hindus believe that the gods released a swan with a lotus in its beak and let it fall on earth where Brahma would perform a grand yagna. The place where the lotus fell was called Pushkar. It is situated at 14 km North West from Ajmer and is one of the five sacred dhams (pilgrimage sites for devout Hindus.) It is often called "Tirth Raj" - the king of pilgrimage sites - and has in recent years become a popular destination for foreign tourists.

Pushkar lies on the shore of Pushkar Lake. It has five principal temples, many smaller temples and 52 ghats where pilgrims descend to the lake to bathe in the sacred waters. One of the primary temples is the 14th century temple dedicated to Brahma, the Hindu god of creation. Very few temples to Lord Brahma exist anywhere in the world. Other temples of Brahma include those at Besakih in Bali, Bithoor in Uttar Pradesh, India, village Asotra near Balotra city of Barmer district in Rajasthan and Prambanan in Indonesia.

Pushkar is also famous for its annual Pushkar Camel Fair.

Pushkar Temple Entrance

This is the entrance of Pushkar Temple-Lord Brahma(The Generator Of Universe).Photography inside the Temple is strictly prohibited.Thousand of people from all across India come to visit this Temple.

Outside view of The Temple

This Temple has its unique identity and is world famous.It is said that all the wishes come true if a person comes with real spirit and dedication.

Ghats(Land near by river) of Pushkar

The above photo is of The Pushkar Ghat.This is the place where the worshipers of God come to take bath as they believe that in this pond drops of nectar (A Drink With Which A Men Never Dies) Fallen down at the time of war between the God and the Evil Powers.Also people come to do the last rituals of a person after the death to make his/her soul free from this world.Old people say that if the ash is dissolved in the Holy River the Soul gets into the Peace.You can see the crowd this is nothing else but the people taking bath and praying the God to provide the peace to their loved ones who are no more.People also take general bath here as they beleive that all the sins they have done will be forgiven by the God.

Another Temple of Pushkar

Holy Tree

This is the Holy tree and is worshiped in the same manner Indian people do to God.You can see the color marks on the tree this is the symbol of holiness.Yello line is known as "Chandan" or Sandal in English .This is one thing without which Indian worshiping is not complete as Indian God Likes it.

Pushkar Sun Set


This photograph is from thr Top of the hill where temple of Godess Durga is established.You can see the houses in the photographs as this is taken from very height.The sunset in Pushkar is one of the best in India.

Sadhu in Pushkar


Pushkar is a place where you can find all tyoe of people i.e. rich,poor,sadhu,saint,priest,beggers and many more.It is more a amazing place as you can really find different kind of people who are quite diffeent from the normal human world.But they are amazing.

Rajasthani Man Playing Indian Guitar

This is a tribal man and is playing the traditional instrument "Sarangi" Which means an instrument that pleys seven sounds.He plays it really very nice.You can get it for around 300 Indian Rupees.

Sapera(A caste who worship Snakes)

This is the photograph of a"Sapera".They are one of the tribes who worship the snakes.The instrument in his hand is known as "Been" which is used to control the snakes as said that When he plays the " Been" the snake starts dancing.This is what i have seen but scientifficaly the snake moves because the man moves his instrument here and there and as snakes are sensitive so they move and people say it dances.Great..

A Kid Dressed up like Lord Shiva.

Close Up

This is a Small kid dressed up like Lord Shiva.You can see he has got his body painted with blue color and is wearing the skin of tiger(not real) with a Arrow with three edges ,necklace.On his forehead there is a eye.It is said that Lord Shiva Is very powerful and has three eyes out of which he never opens third one.But when he opens it the universe gets over as he is Also the Destroyer as per the Indian Mytology.

Angry Lord Shiva

When i requested him for another photograph he tired to scared me.

One more Lord Shiva

This child is so innocent.He is not at all interested to be like that but his parents forcefully has made him to be like this so that people can offer him some money.As India is a spiritual county so they get good amount of money in festival time.But ethically this is not good.Kid deserves the right to enjoy his life.

Traditional Rajasthani Dance Kalbeliya.

This dance is known as "Kalbeliya" and is performed by a tribe known as "Banjaras"."Banjaras" are nomad in English.They dnt stay in one place for a long time.This Is the State dance of Rajasthan.This is now a days performed in some festivals (traditional) only.


Camel with Kids

Camel with the Owner

This is one of the Most Beautiful animal of Rajashthan.Known as Camel or ship of desert.World's biggest cattle fair hels in Pushkar only and thousand of Beautiful camels come and are sold and purchased.You can see the Beautifully decorated Camel.

Traditional Men on Camel In Pushkar Sand Dunes.

People in Rajasthan generally use Camel as a mean of transportation.But you can also enjoy the Desert Safari on the Camel in the Sand Dunes of Pushkar.It is really an amazing experience to sit on camels.

A Traditional Rajasthani Man Showing His Long Moustaches

These kind of scenes we can easily find in Pushkar Fair.People from entire Rajasthan come to Pushkar just to make purchasing of animals,seeds and other stuff used in farming.

Lord Rama Festival Celebration.

This is the photograph of a celebration in Pushkar on " Ram Navami" which is a Hindu festival.You can see the kids are dressed up like Gods and are sitting like they are in their Palace As they are remaking the past.

Me at Peace

Finally this is me.The Best time to visit this place is October and November.

My Journey to Pushkar is over but it was amazing.

65 comments:

dianasfaria.com said...

I love the lord Shiva the best. & I am glad you are at peace. That is most important.

Cafe Pasadena said...

I can see how you got the Golden Bar award for your blog. How some people have the time to post such nice & long postings, I wish I knew!

Lisa Wilson said...

Wow, more interesting shots and beautiful scenery!! I did look at your new website. I really like it!! I thin the layout and the bright colors are really nice. Thanks for following my blog!

Janet said...

Lots of color and colorful people!

Olivier said...

je trouve tes portraits sont superbes, tout en couleur, j'adore.
I find your portraits is superb, everything in colour, I love.

Regina said...

Another great tour. Very interesting place.

Unknown said...

This is an extraordinary post! Absolutely amazing! All photos are just great!
I've spent 2 or 3 days at Pushkar, but I was not lucky enough to see what you show here...

Shawna said...

I love the story of the origins of the city, the beautiful temples, and the camels! Super neat. I'd love to travel there one day.

Thanks for the kind words about my sad going away party!

Shawna's Study Abroad

Carver said...

This was a fascinating post and great photographs. Thanks for your visit to my blog.

Lowell said...

I don't even know where to begin...the photos are magnificent and, well, it's overwhelming...

I was struck, however, by the idea that the religions of the world are essentially the same...only the names and faces are changed...

Great job!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Bhrat: Those were really neat photos from you trip.

2sweetnsaxy said...

Amazing photographs of an amazing city. Thank you so much for sharing these and for telling about this city and its people.

Prospero said...

What a beautiful name and origin - Pushkar.

Do you know the botanical name of that Holy tree?

Very informative and atmospheric post. I almost feel as though I have traveled there.

The Sagittarian said...

Wonderful photos! I worry about the dye in the paint of the young boy wearing Blue! However, looks truly a magical place.

Jen Laceda | Milk Guides said...

Oh my gosh, the people here are lovely!! Your photography is amazing. You connect well with your subjects!

Cheryl said...

I would love to see what you saw in person one day. In the time being I'm glad I can enjoy your photos!

Rajesh said...

Thanks for the comments at "My India Travel". Very informative and beautiful snaps.

Rick (Ratty) said...

Pushkar looks like a beautiful place. I especially like the temples. The pictures of the camels were fun too.

Yoli said...

I am in love with your photographs!

dot said...

Wonderful pictures of your country!

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi:)

Greetings:)

Very informative and interesting post.

Lovely breaathtaking photos.

You are doing a marvellous job of showing some of the most beautiful places and people.

Have a nice day:)
Joseph

Unknown said...

Wonderful set of photos, very interesting to know them all and great info for us. It's a great tour. Thanks for the visits.

Hazel said...

I've been over to Unseen Rajasthan site. It's an excellent travel site. I have added it to my favorites for future reference. If only I can travel nowadays I will hop right on the next plane to India and see all these beautiful places you have in your country, especially Rajasthan. You have awesome photos, very attractive and works well with the purpose. I love them all.

Thanks for the visit and have a great weekend.

Lois said...

Your blog is absolutely amazing! What a gorgeous place and you are a wonderful photographer. I also like your new website. It's fascinating! Thank you so much for your kind comments on my blog.

Small City Scenes said...

Wow! What a place. I loved all the history and story information. Great pictures--so colorful.
I am glad you are at peace. MB

Ted said...

Another lovely posting - very informative and beautiful photographs. Was the first shot from the high hill. I would have liked to have seen that photo larger. When I double clicked it, it was still too small to really make out the village clearly. Thanks for these and for visiting my TODAY'S PHOTO site.

Kilauea Poetry said...

Hi there..these pictures are beautiful...and (unseen)Lots of temples (I'm going to be posting something in regard to the temple soon). Anyway, I like the camels and various places you've captured. Thanks for stopping by too-

Wenche said...

Your trip is amazing! The shots are powerful and the story behind the pictures is interesting. I have looked at your web-site, you have done a great job with it. I think you find all the information you need for a travel in India on your site:) Thank you for the nice comment on my blog.

GMG said...

Hi Bharat! You should have started this before my trip to Rajasthan; but there will be more, so I don't lose it all... ;))

Catherine said...

So many interesting informations ! Thanks to share with us, you made me discover a complete unknown part of the world, here.This religious feeling is so deep, and expressed by people in all their everyday life, so present and so different in our part of the world.

I liked to watch this fair too. Highly colored, with people, as you said, so different one from another. Your beautiful pictures spoke by themselves, but your informations are necessary to better understand.

walk2write said...

Your blog is truly an amazing window on a fascinating country. Someday when we regain our financial footing, I would love to visit India in person with you as my guide. And thank you for visiting and commenting on my post the other day.

Lady Di Tn said...

A beautiful sunset. A very informative post. Thanks for sharing. Makes for a few questions to run around in my head. Peace

robert said...

You may have 'felt' my love for India. Wish I could visit this great country. The Biografie of Ghandi is the only book I read three times.
If I could choose a second life, that would be of a Sadu, leaving all the Samsara of this life.
Like your site very much and hope that you do too enjoy the journey through life.
Please have a nice start into the new week.

NCmountainwoman said...

Wonderful post chocked full of interesting information. Great photographs!

fufu said...

wow great!! can you kidnap me now and bring me there immediately???

anyway i love the temple there =p nice structures :)

George said...

Thanks for a very fascinating tour of Puskar. I appreciate the history and the customs as you have described them and shown them to us.

Anonymous said...

waaa so perfect! i love all the photos that u got :)

Leeds daily photo said...

So many great photos on your blog.
Loved the guy with the moustache, incredible.
Thanks for dropping by on my blog the Leeds Photography in Yorkshire

Anonymous said...

Interesting post! And, to answer Prospero's query, the botanical name of the holy tree is Ficus religiosa and some of the common names are Bodhi, Bo Tree, Peepal and Sacred Tree.
The Buddha is said to have received ‘enlightenment’ while sitting underneath a Bo Tree.

foongpc said...

Very interesting indeed! What is Sadhu, may I ask?

Btw, I find your blog amazing and I'm giving you an award. Come and collect it : )

Oh, and your new website is cool : )

cieldequimper said...

Superb photography and very interesting texts.

Anya said...

Wow!!
Fantastic shots :)

Beautiful post ^__^
Thanks for sharing sooooo many about your country :)

MyMaracas said...

Your land is wondrous indeed. Thank you so much for sharing its beauty and spirit!

Susan at Stony River said...

Beautiful and amazing place; I love its history, and the story of the swan and flower. Those are amazing photos--thank you for showing us so many, and for all the details of your visit!

tapirgal said...

These pictures are great! I know someone who just came back from a trip to India in November, and he brought photos of the camel fair and other colorful and unique places. It was fun to look at your blog, and thanks for visiting mine.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi There, Thanks for visiting my blog. I certainly am enjoying looking at yours. Pushkar is a gorgeous town. Love all of the buildings and colors. The neatest thing is that even though we are miles and miles apart, we both can see the same sunsets and sunrises.

Betsy

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Agsin, I meant to tell you that the George who commented here is my hubby...
Betsy

Tiago Ralha said...

Excellent photos. I loved the post, very interesting.

Unknown said...

That's very interesting information & wonderful photos:)
Thanks for the visit of my blog & have a nice day.

Twilight Man said...

Oh I love the pictures you posted, so colourful and nice! i always wanted to visit India but it is such a big country until I don't know where to start. I came to your blog from Michi's blog. Will come again.

Danielle said...

This is incredible to learn about and see other parts of the world!!! Very neat pics and info. Nice blog. Lord Shiva was spectacular! You must have put a lot of effort into this post. Well worth it:) Thanks for your visit. Hope to see you again.

magiceye said...

wow! that was amazing! wonderfully detailed post on pushkar!

Have started a new meme Pet Pride where you can display your or your friends’ pets every week beginning every Sunday! Do join in and share your pet pride with the world!

Babzy.B said...

Thanks for visiting my blog ! Your photos are amazing , you live in a beutiful place :)

Müge Tekil said...

India is a fascinating country. I made a trip to Northern India and Nepal in 2008 and hope to visit deep Rajasthan and of course Southern India too. Your photos really make me dream! Have a beautiful and happy new week! :-)

Urmi said...

आपके सुंदर पोस्ट के दौरान और साथ ही उम्दा तस्वीरें को देखते हुए मैं तो ऑस्ट्रेलिया में रहकर पुष्कर से घूमकर आ गई मानो! पुराने दिन याद आ रहे थे आपका पोस्ट पड़ते पड़ते! बहुत ही शानदार लिखा है आपने!

Anonymous said...

A culture so full of colour! Excellent post indeed.

Thanks for your kind comments on my blog! :D

Elisabeth's bright side said...

Beautiful photos and very interesting stories!

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

wow, awesome. You have some epic photos from your time in Pushkar. They are spectacular and what an amazing experience you have had had. thanks for sharing these.

:.tossan® said...

A trip that all should do! I would like to travel and to photograph like you did espetacularmente so! A very rich report.

Becky said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! It's always nice to "meet" fellow bloggers. I enjoyed looking through your photos. Pajasthan looks like a fascinating place, and I hope to learn a lot from your photos and commentary.

Nathalie H.D. said...

Oh wow, your photos and story are just amazing. India is an extraordinary country.

Anonymous said...

This just gets better and better. I don't know which photo or story I liked the best -- they're all giving me something fresh and beautiful, and when not beautiful, something to think about.

One thing I do know: I'd like to ride a camel.

Kavita Saharia said...

AMAZING...AMAZING...AMAZING....IT IS THE BEST PHOTO BLOG I HAVE COME ACROSS.

Anonymous said...

The kids dressed-up like god Shiva are very cute - beautiful pictures. Really amazing sights - you are so lucky to experience all this colorful life!

ruma said...

Views of the Nature are really Great.
My hands seem to reach there.

Thank you for showing beautiful landscapes.

Your photography is very splendid.

From the Far East.
Best regards.
ruma